Sunday, March 16, 2008

O Canada




It's been quite a while since I posted anything about the seal hunts in Canada, primarily due to frustration with the Canadian government's unwavering stance on the issue. My misanthropy is exacerbated by the callousness and barbaric maliciousness of people in general when it comes to the empathetic and ethical treatment of animals, including other humans. To be, and acutely feel, powerless to stop the cruelty causes me so much anxiety and depression that I can barely function. Combined with the seriousness of my husband's health problems for the past year and a half, and the uncertainty of how and where we will live from now on, my stress and distress levels have been excruciatingly high for some time now.

I do what I can to cope, and on occasion take the opportunity to sign a petition or send a letter pleading with officials to stop cruel acts over which they have jurisdiction or influence--not only for the beleaguered seals in Canada, but for wild and captive animals everywhere. It sucks that I can't do more than be an armchair activist. Life sucks much of the time. However, once in a while the stars are aligned such that a bit of enlightenment comes my way at a time when I feel up to writing a post that has at least some substance to it.

I am sick of excuses and rationalizations for animal cruelty. I don't understand the mentality of those who perpetrate and support the barbarism. I wish that I could stop them.

No comments: