Saturday, May 5, 2007

Fuel Economy: How does your vehicle rate?

 blog it
I looked up the energy impact of my Ford Ranger pickup & although at 9.4 tons per year of greenhouse gas emissions (based on 15K annual miles) it is only midway between the worst and best vehicles, not the worst, it still consumes 18 barrels of petrol per year. My only saving grace is that I drive only about 3K miles per year, thereby reducing my truck's energy impact by 80%. I also learned that the 2007 Ford Rangers are the most fuel efficient of the trucks listed. (Unfortunately my truck is 10 years old). One of the best things about my truck is that it is paid for. It does the job for me. Living in the country a person needs to be able to haul stuff. A person does not need a big gas guzzler to haul stuff, unless they often haul big stuff. Most of the trucks I see on the road, and especially the big macho ones, aren't hauling anything.

Anyway, this site provides you with the opportunity to examine your own and other vehicles in terms of fuel economy and energy impact.

No comments: